Response to Fourth Lockdown on the Mornington Peninsula
The Committee for Mornington Peninsula extends our sympathy to our members and local communities during this fourth lockdown, which this time encompasses the entire state of Victoria.
At this stage, we have one locally listed exposure site on the Mornington Peninsula. We encourage anyone who visited Nordie Café in Red Hill on 22 May between 9:08 am and 9:34 am to immediately get tested for COVID-19 and self-isolate for 14 days.
If you have visited any listed exposure sites or have flu-like symptoms, you can currently get tested at any of the testing clinics on the Mornington Peninsula, listed below.
CfMP President, Shannon Smit, said “The CfMP is concerned that at this stage, there has been no announcement of support for businesses and organisations impacted by the current week-long Circuit Breaker Lockdown.”
During the Valentine’s Day weekend snap five-day lockdown, which again devastated tourism, hospitality and retail businesses on the Mornington Peninsula, the Victorian Government provided a state-wide Circuit Breaker Action Business Support Package for hospitality venues, accommodation providers and tourism operators, which provided some assistance, along with the continuation of the Federal Government’s JobKeeper Payment.
More than 48 hours after the current lockdown was announced, there has been no support package announced for businesses and employees affected by this lockdown, and no Federal or Victorian Government payments remain on offer for businesses affected by lockdowns.
“For many operators on the Mornington Peninsula, this will be the straw that breaks their backs,” Ms Smit said.
Tourism supports an estimated 3,667 jobs on the Mornington Peninsula, representing 7 per cent of total employment - the largest sub-sector of which is accommodation & food services, with 1,777 local jobs supported by tourists’ expenditure.
Accommodation and food services is the fourth-largest employer on the Mornington Peninsula, employing an estimated 4,908 workers as of March this year. Over the past year, an estimated 135 local jobs in accommodation and food services have been lost.
We call on the Victorian Government and Federal Government to promptly announce funding supports for
businesses and organisations impacted by COVID-19 lockdowns, which will help them to survive this latest Victorian lockdown.
Mornington Peninsula COVID-19 Testing Clinics
- Melbourne Pathology – 2 Ozone Street, Rye (Asymptomatic only)
- Peninsula Health – Eleanora House, Rosebud Hospital - 1527 Point Nepean Road, Capel Sound
- Rosebud Respiratory Clinic – 1079 Point Nepean Road, Rosebud
- Peninsula Health - Mobile Service - Mornington Park Pavilion - 9 Flinders Drive, Mornington
- Melbourne Pathology - Mornington (Asymptomatic only) – 262 Main Street, Mornington
- ACL - Mornington – 127 Tanti Avenue, Mornington
- Melbourne Pathology - Somerville (Asymptomatic only) – 67 Eramosa Road West, Somerville
- Hastings Community Health, 185 High Street, Hastings, Saturday 29 May (8.30am-4pm)
- RW Stone Pavillion Somers, 68 Camp Hill Road, Somers, Saturday 29 May (8.30am-4pm)
- The Mornington Centre, 24 Separation Street, Mornington, Sunday 30 May (8.30am-4pm)
- Balnarring Community Hall, 3041 Frankston-Flinders Road, Balnarring, Sunday 30 May (8.30am-4pm)
- Somerville Mechanics Hall, (Community Hall), 66 Station Street Somerville, Monday 31 May (8.30am-4pm)
- Langwarrin Community Hall, 2/183N Cranbourne – Frankston Road, Langwarrin, Monday 31 May 8.30am-4pm
- Bittern Community Hall, 2426 Frankston-Flinders Road, Bittern, Tuesday 1 June, 8.30am-4pm
- Rye Civic Hall, 12 Napier Street, Rye, Tuesday 1 June, 8.30am-4pm
- Baxter Community Hall, 211 Baxter-Tooradin Road, Baxter, Wednesday 2 June, 8.30am-4pm
- Balnarring Community Hall, 3041 Frankston-Flinders Road, Wednesday 2 June, 8.30am-4pm
- Langwarrin Community Hall, 2/183N Cranbourne – Frankston Road, Langwarrin, Thursday 4 June, 8.30am-4pm
- Bittern Community Hall, 2426 Frankston-Flinders Road, Bittern, Thursday 4 June, 8.30am-4pm
- The Mornington Centre, 24 Separation Street, Mornington (Activity Centre) Friday 5 June, 8.30am-4pm
- Hastings Community Health, 185 High Street, Hastings, Saturday 6 June, 8.30am – 4pm
- The Mornington Centre, 24 Separation Street, Mornington (Activity Centre) Sunday 6 June, 8.30am-4pm
Briony Hutton, Executive Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org | 0468 308 696